Dame Nellie Melba’s house, Marian, 1931. ‘Mr Armstrong, the late Dame Nellie Melba's husband, was one of the first managers of the old Marian Sugar Mill, in the Mackay district. The house depicted above was built for Melba and her husband. It has since been shifted to another site and is occupied by the Chief Engineer (Mr Guilford), and the house of the present manager (Mr O’Neil) is erected on the original site of Melba’s home. Mr Dave Coyne, one of the oldest pioneers of Marian, remembers Melba in the early days of Marian.

Collection of the Fryer Library, University of Queensland

Syndicate content